Saturday, January 1, 2011

What's The Year Again?

A friend of mine mentioned that with all of the discussion concerning the year 2012, the year 2011 has become surprising or irrelevant.


I hadn't thought about it, but he is completely right. With the onset of panic that began a couple years ago concerning the rumors and legends of the end of the world as we know it in 2012, it has remained a looming thought in most minds - a somewhat blaring red alarm clock number that won't stop flashing.

For me at least, 2010 was the beginning of this panic, therefore setting it out as a year all its own. I thought of it differently than I had thought about the 2000's, and it was unique in that way. 2012 will have its own batch of disorder and confusion, much like I remember in the year 2000. But 2011...
Something just isn't sticking.

New Year's Eve creeped up on me, and although I had as much fun as I always do, something about the celebrations last night were missing something. It wasn't the fault of the host, the people or the drinks, but instead maybe the fault of the year itself. There isn't anything that stands out about this year because of how it is crunched into the middle of two memorable years. It is becoming a sad middle child in my own head.


The year 2011 is like when someone turns 20. It is meaningful in its own way, but it isn't the one before and it isn't the one after. At 19 there are new and exciting things that make the age memorable. The age 21 gives you the rest of the things that you couldn't have at 19. But turning 20 years old holds nothing besides breaking the twenties, and honestly, no one really cares about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment