Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Half Japanese Girl;

I don't remember how we actually started talking. I know that it had to do with being in class together, and I guess it just happened. Like osmosis - bound to happen. I remember the first time she gave me a drive home from class. It was snowing out, and she was heading that way anyway, so she offered and I accepted. She played me a recording that her and her band had made immediately, and told me all about the experience. It was adorable.


Through our entire relationship, she has been the one with a plan. With her head firmly on her shoulders. And throughout it all she helped me to find my own path. I had a lot of trouble leaving the house and going to class, and I can honestly say that if it had not been for her example and inspiration, I would not have graduated University. She helped me not only to get into the classroom, but to also understand what I was supposed to be doing once I got there. No one else has ever been able to push me with such grace, and I owe this English Language and Literature degree to her, first and foremost. I don't think she even knows how much she helped me, unintentionally, but I am forever grateful.


As time went on and our friendship grew outside of the classroom, she found a way to help me in my real life. I made some mistakes and some bad decisions, and no matter what happened, who was involved, or what I regretted, I knew that I ALWAYS had a shoulder to cry on and a fountain of advice. I met someone who I could study/drink/dance/sit/talk/ with, and here we are today.


When I am with her, I am just me. I can't be that with many people because I always feel the need to keep the real me at a distance for fear of frightening people away. For some reason, with her, it has never been that way. I have always been exactly who I am, even if it was sometimes undesirable, and I think that I am so lucky to have found a person who makes me feel so safe and comfortable every time I am with her. I owe a lot to her, and I don't know if she is aware of everything she has done for me.


In early February, her dreams will come true. She will hop on a plane and teach in Japan, something that as long as I have known her has been a life goal. For her, it was always to finish University and Teacher's College, and then teach in Japan. I never doubted that this would happen for her, but I am excited nonetheless. Finally, the girl who deserves everything, is getting what she wants.
I know that it is going to be really hard for the people that she is leaving behind. I know that every time I think about her not being here, my eyes well up and it gets harder to breathe. I worry that without her, my life will surely crumble. I am going to miss her more than I could ever imagine missing someone.


But even with the pain of her not being right here, I am too happy for her to feel sad. As I stated, her dreams have come true, and thinking of it like that, I know that mine have come true as well. I was able to meet a real friend - someone who has always helped me, never doubted me and kept me sane for the past three to four years. I know that the distance will be difficult, but a little bit of water between us won't affect our friendship. She will still be there for me, and I hope that she knows I will still be there for her, always.


Safe travels, Emi Morimoto. I have never been more excited or proud for someone in my entire life. I know you don't leave for another few months, but time flies and I already miss you like hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment